“Not a lodge, not a farm stay…more of a perfect shack with a view” is how our friends describe their amazing bach, The Green Trout, at Mangaweka, New Zealand. And perfect it is…
- Four light and airy bedrooms. The Green Trout can sleep up to 12 people.
- Situated on a quiet cliff top with phenomenal views over the Kawhatau River and the Ruahine Ranges.
- Warm and cosy with great heating for winter.
- Delightful compact kitchen with everything you need including tasty homemade cookies.
- The best shower I’ve ever had in New Zealand.
- Friendly cows and sheep at your doorstep.
- Extremely good value at $40NZD per person per night.
- The “piece de resistance”…a twin bath with a view!
I have personally stayed at The Green Trout three times and each stay has been an absolute delight. One of the high points is falling asleep to the relaxing sound of the Kawhatau river flowing in the valley below. The Green Trout is an easy drive to Mangaweka and Taihape. They can also book fantastic fly-fishing trips for you.
The Green Trout
1386 Kawhatau Valley Road
Mangaweka NEW ZEALAND
The New Zealand bach is a very popular alternative type of accommodation. They are usually cheap, cheerful and located in very scenic spots. Check out some more here.
Some of my fondest memories of New Zealand have been created at this lovely spot to stay. I hope you enjoy it some day too.